Search This Blog

Monday, August 27, 2012

So, we're a LITTLE obsessed with skulls. . .so what!

Hey there, Stephani here! 

I decided to share the adventure that is the current scarf I'm working on, ya know, if it ever gets finished. 

It all started with getting very frustrated working on a skull pattern I purchased on Ravelry. Not only do I HATE most patterns, this one didn't have pictures and wasn't very clear. So I tried it a few times, and then got the idea to just stitch the skull parts on a base instead of trying to crochet it. 

It was a glorious moment. 

This is what I started out working on. . .



















And this is what I decided to make instead. . .
If you know me, then you know I love skulls. Studied them in college, wear them on everything, and am obsessed with anything to do with Halloween or the Day of the Dead. Seems pretty cliche for a weird girl that loves to craft, but hey, the heart wants what the heart wants, RIGHT?!?!

So here's some closeups of how to get started on your own sugar skull patch. I plan to turn all of mine into a scarf possibly, but we'll see how that ends up. I'm a master procrastinator. 

NOW! Gather you're supplies! I used a little scrap yarn for this and an "I" hook. You'll also need some embroidery thread and a yarn needle, and whatever scissors you like to use for shankin'.

I keep my needles in a Hello Kitty tin, SO WHAT!?


Start with your base, I just followed the same double crochet pattern that you would use to make a beanie, stopping when it starts to look like a skull . . .

Next, just add some flowers of whatever design you'd like for eyes. . .

TADA! You're almost there. Now just get to stitchin'. . .



Upside-down hearts make adorable noses.


Here's my latest. . .the light pink flower is kind of hard to see in the picture, but the colors are great together. 


3 down, only like 15 more to go. =___=

Next up, you'll get to see my first go at a blanket. Get EXCITED!!

Make sure to stop by our Facebook to keep up with what we're working on, and if you like what we're doing, help us out by visiting our Etsy. <3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment